What is Liposuction?
Liposuction or liposcultping, i.e. the removal of unwanted fat through tiny incisions, is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed today. Through tiny incisions, liposuction can remove unwanted fat with the least invasion necessary. Dr. Tito Vasquez at Connecticut Plastic Surgery Group performs liposuction on patients looking to remove stubborn pockets of fat and contour and slim their overall silhouette.
Who is a Good Candidate?
Good candidates for liposuction include healthy and fit people who are intelligent and understand the benefits and limitations of liposuction. Patients should be within 30 pounds of their goal weight to see the best results. Poor candidates are people with many health problems, heavy smokers, people with bleeding or clotting problems, or people who have unrealistic expectations. It is important to understand that liposuction is not a weight loss procedure. It can restore abnormal contours or improve appearance greatly and may improve or worsen cellulite or stretch marks. To maintain liposuction results, it is important to have a consistent exercise and diet routine. Patients should be aware that liposuction is meant to remove fat and not excess skin.
What Can Liposuction Treat?
Many people, both women and men, have abnormal collections of fat that cause unwanted contours such as love handles, saddle bags, turkey neck, beer belly, back rolls, or large breasts. Liposuction can almost be done in almost any part of the body. Many fit people try diet, exercise, or other fads to try to reduce the appearance of these areas. However, despite all the hard work, these deposits of fatty tissue do not improve with weight loss. Liposuction can remove these pockets of stubborn fat once and for all to achieve improved body definition.
What are the Benefits of Liposuction?
Many patients choose to undergo liposuction due to the many benefits offered. Liposuction can:
- Be done under sedation with fewer risks and shorter operating times.
- Use smaller incisions, which result in smaller, less visible scars than other procedures.
- Help your body to appear slimmer and more proportionate.
- Allow your clothes to fit better for a boost in self-esteem.
Liposuction by Dr. Vasquez may be the perfect procedure to improve your appearance and thus your overall self-esteem. Dr. Vasquez will help you take the steps you need to feel confident in your body by creating a unique procedure plan to address your individual needs.
Preparing for Your Liposuction Procedure
Before your liposuction consultation
- Do your research on the procedure to ensure that it can treat your concerns and that you will be a successful candidate.
- Have realistic goals in mind and a strong understanding of what you would like to accomplish with your liposuction procedure. You should also have a list of any questions or concerns you might have to discuss with Dr. Vasquez.
Many people, both women and men, have abnormal collections of fat that cause unwanted contours such as love handles, saddle bags, turkey neck, beer belly, back rolls, or large breasts. Liposuction can almost be done in almost any part of the body. Many fit people try diet, exercise, or other fads to try to reduce the appearance of these areas. However, despite all the hard work these deposits of fatty tissue do not improve with weight loss. Definition in muscle tone becomes much more difficult to appreciate and the body looks tired and weak.
Your liposuction consultation
- Dr. Vasquez will sit down with you and discuss your concerns and issues and perform a thorough history and physical. He will want to know what medications or supplements you take, what allergies you have, and if you have a history of abnormal bleeding or clotting. He will ask if you smoke or drink alcohol. He will also ask about your family history.
- He will then perform an examination of your body and problem areas. He may note any prior scars or surgery you may have had and address the areas of concern. He may also note adjacent or complementary areas that may or may not be amenable to liposuction. He may suggest an alternative or complementary surgery that may reach your personal goals better. He may suggest that the procedure be done in the office or at the hospital operating room. Liposuction may be combined with other procedures as determined by your surgeon. Ultimately you have a choice in your options.
After your consultation
- Make sure you are in good health leading up to your procedure by eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise.
- Quit smoking at least two weeks before your procedure day.
- Arrange for a week off work so you can rest and recover at home.
- Have someone plan to drive you home from your procedure and care for you during the first 24 hours if you’d like.
- Have everything you need for a comfortable recovery including books, magazines, movies, ice packs, and your pain medication.
The Liposuction Surgery
Dr. Vasquez may give you some medication to assist with your pain or anxiety. He will perform some topographical markings on your skin just prior to surgery to help map out how he may best remove this fat with liposuction. Local anesthesia, such as Novocain or lidocaine, will be used to numb the skin for the access sites, and then a long thin catheter is placed into the area that is marked to provide both additional anesthesia and adrenaline to reduce bleeding. Then long thin cannula or instruments are used to gently suction out the unwanted fat using suction. This fat is eventually discarded, however, occasionally the fat is harvested and prepared for placement into other areas as a filler or volume. This is called fat grafting.
Once the surgeon is satisfied with the result, he will close those areas with either suture or tissue glue. He may wrap those areas in a compression garment or bandage as needed to hasten your recovery and decrease bruising.
You will remain in the office or hospital for recovery until you are stable to go home. In most cases, you will need someone to take you home. Dr. Vasquez will usually provide a mild narcotic and/or an antibiotic for after the surgery. You can expect some liposuction side effects like swelling, bruising, and general discomfort in the week after your procedure. A liposuction compression garment should be worn during your recovery process to control any post-procedure swelling. You may also be instructed to massage the area to increase blood flow. You should plan to take it easy, however, you will be asked to get up and moving as soon as the day after your procedure to ensure proper blood flow and assist the healing process. It is important to follow all exercise and activity restrictions that are given to you by Dr. Vasquez.
It may take three months or more to see the final results due to possible swelling and bruising. However, fat generally does not return to those areas that were liposuctioned unless you were to gain a significant amount of fat. By maintaining a stable weight with a healthy diet and exercise, you can ensure long-lasting results from your liposuction procedure.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about the lipo procedure, contact the Connecticut Plastic Surgery Group in Southport today to schedule your full consultation and evaluation by Dr. Vasquez to see if you are a good candidate.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does liposuction cost?
The cost of your liposuction procedure will depend on the size of the area being treated. For example, smaller sections like under the chin liposuction or neck liposuction will be less expensive than larger areas like abdominal or thigh liposuction. Dr. Vasquez will go over your liposuction price and payment options during your initial consultation.
What is laser liposuction?
Laser liposuction is a type of liposuction that uses less invasion than traditional liposuction. Although laser lipo technique still requires tiny incisions, laser energy is used to break up the fat cells, required even smaller incisions and less trauma on the body. Laser liposuction also offers skin tightening benefits to improve skin laxity. At CTPSG, Dr. Vasquez also offers Vaser Liposuction, which is a liposuction procedure that uses ultrasound technology rather than a laser to break down the fat cells prior to their removal for well-defined results. During your consultation Dr. Vasquez will determine if Vaser liposuction is a good option for you!
What is the difference between liposuction and tummy tuck?
Liposuction and tummy tuck can both address poor contour in the abdominal area, however, the two address different concerns. abdominal liposuction can remove stubborn fat from the area, creating a sculpted, toned appearance. A tummy tuck is used when loose tissue and excess skin is present. The surgical procedure tightens the underlying muscles to flatten the tummy. The two procedure can be performed together for optimal abdominal contouring.
Is noninvasive liposuction available?
There are many minimally invasive lipo techniques such as laser liposuction, tumescent liposuction, and ultrasonic liposuction, however, a tiny incision is still required to access the fat cells. Patients can remove their fat without surgery with other treatment options, but will not receive the same significant results that can be achieved with liposuction. At Connecticut Plastic Surgery Group, we also offer UltraShape which is a non-surgical fat removal and body shaping treatment.