What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation or augmentation mammoplasty, otherwise known as a boob job, is a cosmetic breast enhancement procedure. A breast enhancement can be performed with the use of implants or with your own fat during a natural breast augmentation. A breast augmentation with implants is among the most popular plastic surgery procedures performed in the last 2 decades. They are popular since they are extremely gratifying to the patient who has been concerned about their breast size for a long time, and it is also a relatively safe procedure as well. Breast implants are designed to enlarge and reshape the breasts and improve body proportion. Breast augmentation is generally not designed to lift drooping breasts, but they may give the appearance of a more youthful figure due to the change in proportions. Women looking to lift their breasts will need a procedure that tightens and supports the soft tissue as is done in a technique called a mastopexy. A breast lift procedure may be performed in conjunction with a breast augmentation in certain people depending on several factors which your breast augmentation surgeon, Dr. Vasquez, will help you decide which breast surgery is right for you during a one on one consultation at his Connecticut plastic surgery practice in Southport.
Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Those who wish for fuller breasts with improved contour and symmetry can benefit from a breast augmentation. There are several reasons for a breast augmentation, including naturally small breasts, underdeveloped breasts, and changes to the breasts over time. Breasts can change shape due to many factors including breast deflation after pregnancy, lost volume with changes in weight, etc. Some women may also just be unhappy with their breast shape or size in general. Breast augmentation can also improve breasts that are not symmetrical. Breast implants may also be used to reconstruct the breasts after mastectomy or to correct congenital breast shape deformities that arise from birth or caused by injury or illness. Breast implants are designed to add volume, form, and symmetry to the chest to improve these concerns. Good candidates for breast augmentation with cosmetic implants are women who:
- Are in good physical and mental health
- Are dissatisfied with the size of their current breasts
- Have realistic expectations for the procedure and outcome
- Are nonsmokers
- Are done having children and breastfeeding
To know for certain if you are a good candidate for breast augmentation, please call our office today to schedule your consultation.
Customizing Your Breast Augmentation with Breast Implant Options
The breast augmentation is one of the most customizable cosmetic procedures, allowing patients to choose the size and shape of their breast implants for the firm, round breasts they desire. Patients will have several implant options that will help them achieve the results they need. Along with choosing the size of their implants, patients will have the following options for their breast enlargement procedure:
Breast Implant Material Options
The material you choose for your implants will affect the results of your breast augmentation procedure. Both have their benefits and drawbacks, and Dr. Vasquez can help you determine which type will be best for your goals and values. Your two main implant material options will be:
Saline breast implants are composed of a polymer shell and filled with sterile saline. The saline can be safely absorbed by the body in the event of a rupture and would immediately deflate. Saline implants are FDA approved for those 18 and older.
Silicone breast implants are composed of a silicone gel that has the feel and movement of natural breast tissue. However, silicone implants would not deflate when ruptured and will require regular MRI scans to ensure no leakage has occurred. These implants are approved for patients 22 and older.
The IDEAL implant is composed of saline in a multi-chamber structure. This allows for the natural look and feel of silicone, but without the risk of silent rupture. With a structured saline implant, you can also enjoy a reduced risk of complications like capsular contracture. These implants are approved for women 18 and older.
Breast Implant Placement Options
Breast implants can be placed under or over the breast muscle. Breast implants that are placed over the muscle can offer a quicker recovery. Candidates for this type of placement will need to have adequate breast skin quality. Breast implants can also be placed under the breast muscle. This allows for more coverage of the breast implant to reduce the risk of complications, but typically leads to a longer recovery period.
How is a Breast Augmentation Performed?
There are several different breast augmentation techniques that can be used to help you enhance the size and shape of the breasts with the use of implants. These are the general steps that occur during a typical breast augmentation surgery:
- First, anesthesia will be given which will make you comfortable and numb to pain. This can either be general anesthesia or sedation with novocaine.
- Next, an incision will be made. There are several different locations where breast surgery incisions could be placed. You and Dr. Vasquez will discuss these options and make your decision prior to the procedure. Common options for placement of these incisions include an incision in the crease beneath the breast (inframammary), Transaxillary Incision (in the armpit), and Periareolar Incision (around the areola). There are pros and cons to all these options, and this will be discussed with you based on your personal goals.
- A pocket will be made under the breast to ensure proper placement and location for the implants. The placement of the implants will usually be placed under your pectorals muscle, but may also be placed over the pectoral muscle but behind the breast tissue. The pocket is meticulously sculpted to ensure that your implants look as natural as possible.
- The implants will then be placed carefully through the incision. Prior to surgery. you will have made your choice between a Saline-filled or Silicone gel-filled implants, as well as the size, shape, and texture of the implant. Saline implants are filled with a balanced salt water solution after they have been placed in position, while Silicone implants, which are filled with an elastic gel, are already pre-filled. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages, and Dr. Vasquez will be happy to help you reach that decision comfortably. Ultimately each patient must feel secure about their decision so that will be happy with their results.
- The incisions will then be sutured closed and bandaged. You will have a surgical bra that makes it easy to remove on and off and bathe as usual.
- The results will be visible immediately though you will be somewhat sore and swollen. It is important during the recovery period to relax and allow your body to heal. Dr. Vasquez will prescribe pain medication to avoid discomfort and will keep in touch for follow-up procedures to ensure proper recovery. The long-term results will be visible in the coming months as you continue to recover and your breasts settle into their new shape and size.
Potential Risks of Breast Implant Surgery
As with all surgeries, breast augmentation or implant surgery has its risks and potential complications. It is important to understand what these risks are before making your decision. Talking to a Board-certified Plastic Surgeon is the best way to understand these risks and to learn what to look for as you heal. A Board-certified Plastic Surgeon is not only concerned with giving you the best result possible, but also about your utmost safety. Dr. Vasquez will support you throughout your healing process and recovery and ensure that you will end up with a great experience.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
After your procedure, you will be provided with breast surgery after care instructions to ensure proper healing. It is important to note that the results of your breast implants may change. Breast implants will add weight to your breasts, therefore altering their shape over time. It is important to have properly fitting bras to support your breasts to avoid looseness of the skin. In some cases, we find that when properly supported, the patient will experience little to no sagging over time. This includes supportive sports bras during activity with excessive movement, even during simple hiking or walking. Dr. Vasquez will also suggest that you massage your breasts daily for the first three months’ post-surgery. This will help keep your breasts feeling natural and lower the risks of scar tissue development. It is extremely important to be aware of any changes and contact Dr. Vasquez with any concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much are breast implants?
The cost of your breast implants will depend on a number of factors including the size and material. Your breast augmentation procedure cost will also depend on the techniques used and whether you had other procedures combines like a breast lift. Dr. Vasques will provide a more accurate price for you at your initial breast augmentation consultation.
What are the physical effects of breast augmentation surgery?
There are some physical effects of breast augmentation surgery, especially during the recovery period. Women can expect to experience some swelling, bruising, and tightness in the breasts and should hold off on physical activity for several weeks while they heal. The breasts may appear higher on the chest at first, but will become more natural looking as the implants drop and settle beneath the skin. It can take several months to enjoy the full physical results of your breast augmentation procedure.
What are the benefits of breast enlargement?
There are many physical and emotional benefits to receiving a breast enlargement with the use of implants. With implants, women can restore deflated breasts or underdeveloped breasts, improve shape and symmetry, and improve breast aesthetics overall. Most importantly, the breast augmentation procedure can lead to improved confidence, making daily life more enjoyable.
What is the ideal age for breast enhancement surgery?
The age you receive your breast augmentation procedure will depend on your concerns and the type of implants you’re choosing. For women who wish to enhance naturally small breasts early in life, they must be 18 years or older for saline breast implants, and 22 years or older for silicone breast implants. Older women who want to restore volume loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding might consider a breast augmentation once they know they are done having children. While breastfeeding after breast augmentation is still possible, the physical effects of childbirth and breastfeeding could affect the results of your augmentation.
Breast Augmentation Before and After Photos
Getting breast implants has helped many women achieve a greater self-esteem and body image. Dr. Vasquez always tries to understand each and every person’s goals, personality, and daily life to help them make the choice that is right for them. It’s important if you are considering a breast implant or augmentation procedure, that you are doing it for you.