Mastopexy, or a breast lift, is a surgical cosmetic procedure performed to lift the breasts to a more youthful position. As we age, our breasts, along with every other part of our body, begins to change shape. Our skin loses elasticity (it’s ability to stay tight) and fat and muscles wane and shift. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, changes in weight, aging, gravity and genetics all play a part in how our breasts evolve over time. Some women notice only minor changes, while other notice significant ones. Dr. Vasquez performs breast lift surgery in Connecticut.
Benefits of a Breast Lift
A breast lift can achieve some very successful results in women who wish to revitalize the appearance of their breasts, but a breast lift alone will not change the size of the breasts. If you desire to both lift and increase the size of your breasts, you may consider combining a breast lift with a breast augmentation for optimal results.
Am I a Candidate for a Mastopexy?
Good candidates for the breast lift procedure are physically healthy and at a stable weight, non-smokers, unhappy with the sagging appearance of their breasts, and have realistic expectations about the procedure and its potential outcome.
Breast Lift Incision Options
There are a number of incision patterns and techniques used to achieve a breast lift and they decided upon based on a number of factors such as breast size and shape, position and size of the areolas, the amount of sagging in the breast and the skin’s quality. A Plastic Surgeon will be able to recommend the best plan for you. Let’s take a look at just a view of the variables for the breast lift procedure:
- Anesthesia comes first, of course, no matter the following plan, and can be done intravenously with sedation or under general.
- The incisions may be done in one of three ways: around the areola, around the areola and vertically down from the areola to the breast crease (key pattern) or around the areola, vertically down from the breast crease and horizontally along the breast crease.
- The breast tissue will be lifted and reshaped to the desired form and firmness. The nipple and areola will likely be repositioned to create the most natural, youthful appearance. On occasion, the areola may also be reshaped or resized as needed. Excess skin will be removed.
- The incisions will be closed and bandaged.
- You will notice initial results immediately, but full results will become more and more apparent as you heal and the swelling goes down.
Breast Lift Risks
Every surgical procedure has risks and it is important to know them. Ask questions and make sure you understand the answers. During your recovery, you will have certain guidelines and activity restrictions which are put in place to ensure a healthy and speedy recovery. It is important that you follow your doctors orders. If you experience any shortness of breath or chest pains, seek medical attention right away.
Breast Lift Pictures
If you maintain a healthy weight and healthy lifestyle, your breast lift results will last you a long time. A breast lift does not prevent your breasts from the effects of aging in the future. To learn more about a breast list, click here.